Car Insurance Lakeland FL
Car insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.
Besides medical and property insurance coverage, can insurance protects you against liability, too:
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
As a contract between you and the insurance company, you agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy.
A car insurance policy addresses six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you're financing a car, there may be requirements stipulated by the the lender.
Most auto policies cover six months or a year. The insurance company normally notifies you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your car insurance premium.
Why do you need car insurance?
Having car insurance coverage is about protecting yourself financially:
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money - often a lot of money - to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be very expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you risk being sued for much more than you're worth.
- Having car insurance is a prudent financial decision, and many states in fact require that you have a minimum amount of coverage.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent's job is to find the auto insurance that meets your specific needs. When discussing car insurance with your Agent, here are a few things to consider:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? To keep premiums low, you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? Ask about good driver, multiple policy and student discounts that can collectively save you quiet a lot of money.
- What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? Who do you call and what happens after you file a claim.